Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Homemade Chicken-n-Dumplin's

Well, here's another one of my favorite dishes to make for the family... Chicken-N-Dumplin's! The weather is getting colder and I absolutely looooove making savory meals for us to come home to. I prepared this dish during the day while hubs was at work and the kids were at school. I wanted to find a 1 pot meal that I could throw together in a pot, allow it simmer and be ready when needed. This was the perfect dish! I don't have a recipe for this particular dish because I literally just throw things together without measuring anything and it always turns out PERFECT!!!  I have found a similar recipe using most of the ingredients I used in my dish that I will post below for those who would like to give it a try. Enjoy!




It was VERY hard for me to find a similar recipe so please see the notes prior to making it.

*Note*  

For the dumplings I used about 2 cups of all purpose flour, 1 tsp of baking powder, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper and ice water (add a little at a time until you get the right consistency).

*I also added frozen corn, peas and carrots to the pot near the end of cooking.

*Also, I used 2 cans of cream of chicken soup or you can use cream of mushroom or cream of broccoli (the low sodium kind by campbells)

*I added two pats of light butter to the pot in the final stages of cooking

 Chicken n Dumplings Recipe (Click this link of follow the directions below)


Ingredients:
4 large skinless, boneless chicken breast
halves - cut into strips
4 cubes chicken bouillon
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 sprig fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup cornstarch, to thicken broth
Directions:
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add chicken, bouillon, celery, parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer.
2. To Make Dumplings: While chicken is cooking, combine the flour, egg, sour cream, and chicken broth in a medium bowl. Mix well and roll dough out on a floured surface. Cut into small squares and drop into boiling chicken broth. In a small bowl, mix together corn starch and enough water to form a thin paste; stir into broth. Continue to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until dumplings are light and puffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment